In an unbelievable turn of events, my little brother turns 21 today.
It’s going to be weird forever, especially when July 2078 comes around and he turns 80 and I will once again say, “WAIT, WHAT?”
21 is a milestone in everyone’s (or at least every American’s) life and I’m so excited to get to celebrate it. It means he’s moving into a new chapter that will hold brand new and exciting adventures.
So as we move towards those exciting adventures, little brother, I just wanted to give you a few pieces of advice that I picked up both on my way towards and in my time since turning 21. I can only hope they bring you the motivation and encouragement they’ve brought me, and that they send you into this new year feeling full.
1) Don’t be afraid to be afraid—that fear moves you forward.
2) You don’t have to know the ending when you’re still in the middle.
3) Helping people helps you.
4) Your time will come, just be patient and keep working hard.
5) Don’t ignore opportunities that look different than your expectations.
6) Sometimes all you can ask of yourself is small steps forward.
7) Never stop pursuing the new.
8) It’s never too late to find a new hobby.
9) People will always judge you no matter what, so you might as well be yourself.
10) Your life matters more than you could ever realize.
11) You always have more blessings than you think.
12) Give every day the opportunity to be great.
13) It’s okay to have bad days.
14) Don’t be afraid to push your limits and don’t let yourself be pressured to ignore them.
15) Always. Keep. Trying.
16) When you take the time to really get to know yourself it’s easier to introduce that person to other people.
17) When you love yourself it’s even easier.
18) You are capable of great things.
19) You deserve great things.
20) One of your greatest responsibilities in your life is to fail and make mistakes.
21) You are completely and totally loved.
Love you, and happy birthday!
Leave a Reply