When I was little, like any kid, all I wanted to do was grow up, to get bigger, to be taken seriously. Then, like any young adult, I just wanted to be a kid again, without responsibility, without drama. But lately, as I’ve watched my 25th birthday (my quarter of a century milestone!) close in on me, I find myself looking forward to the years to come, rather than dreading them. I understand the qualms that come with aging, but as I looked back at the years I’ve already lived, I came to an important realization: If given the chance, I wouldn’t relive a single year of my life so far.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had an amazing life that I am incredibly grateful for, however I’ve recently begun to notice the benefits of growing up, both physically and emotionally. With each passing day I learn something new and I wouldn’t trade that for the world. Sure, some things learned are uncomfortable or difficult, some break my heart or knock me down, but I know that the days to come hold answers and discoveries and growth that I can take with me and keep learning.
So, as I thought about all the birthdays I’ve already had, and all the days in between, I discovered 25 things that the last 25 years have taught me:
- Never assume you’re having a worse day than anyone else.
- If you are using two hands to scoop, it’s probably not a serving size. (A truly heartbreaking truth.)
- Ignore trends and wear/do/sing/love what you want to, as loud and as long as you want to.
- “What sets us apart can sometimes feel like a burden, and it’s not. A lot of the time, it’s what makes you great.” –Emma Stone
- Don’t be afraid to push your limits, and don’t let yourself be pressured to ignore them.
- If given the choice, choose a pretzel bun. Always.
- Don’t assume you can’t do something, chances are with time and patience, you can.
- It’s not to cool or cute to pretend you’re less intelligent than you are.
- Sometimes all you can ask of yourself are small steps forward.
- Looking someone in the eye can tell you a lot about them, and them a lot about you.
- You always have more blessings than you think.
- Juice cleanses aren’t worth it.
- Trying to spread love and kindness to others while not showing it to yourself is like expecting a tree to grow fruit without watering it.
- People are going to leave and lie, and cheat and die, and we have to both except those facts, and learn to move past them, stronger and wiser.
- Trust your own path, even if it strays from those you admire. We all have our own unique destination to reach.
- Yes or No questions are not always “simple”.
- It is better to feel strong than look thin.
- “Do what you gotta do, so you can do what you wanna do” –Denzel Washington
- Love can be as strong as hate if we utilize an equal amount of fight to make it heard.
- It’s not always that great to do what everyone else is doing.
- Sometimes things are just going to suck, but it’s your choice to let those things ruin your day.
- Our actions can inspire the good and bad in people, and we must be conscious of both possibilities.
- Life is hard.
- Life is beautiful.
Who knows what the next 25 have in store?
Ps- there are about 3 1/2 weeks left in the Quarter of a Century Campaign 🙂
Donate here. Thank you!