So you know how I have that tendency to keep Internet windows open? Well I have officially reached a new level of insane. When I scrolled through and looked this past week, I had over 80 windows open. EIGHTY.
I must be stopped.
I must continue. Because continuing means more of these posts, which, while giving you mild concern for my attachment to internet windows, also provide you with at least mildly interesting facts you might not have otherwise learned, right?
I don’t know.
All I know is that I’m probably going to keep doing it, and I hope you’ll mildly benefit in the process. So, diving right in, over the past few months, my Google search history can be broken down into four main categories:
Because I’m always propping my phone at perilous angles while I cook.
Here are some of the recipes I’ve recently Googled:
- Italian Spaghetti Squash
- Persimmon Pudding Cake
- Jalapeno-Goat Cheese Grilled Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Penne with Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese
- Quinoa Enchilada Stuffed Delicata Squash
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Red Onions with Feta
2) Questions About Food
Because while food is delicious, it’s also…kind of mysterious?
Here are some of the questions I’ve Googled, the answers (if you’re wondering) are in italics.
- How long are chips good after their expiration date?
- 2-3 months.
- Is there gluten in tortilla chips?
- If they are made from corn tortillas, no.
- Iron rich foods to add to your diet?
- Do you refrigerate brussel sprouts?
- Yes, in the vegetable drawer.
- How long are chopped onions good in the refrigerator?
- 7 to 10 days.
- When are peaches in season?
- May – late September.
- What is a good snack to have before bed?
- According to this article, some good options are a cup of almond milk, seasonal fresh fruit, dark chocolate covered popcorn, whole wheat bread with peanut butter, greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
- What foods trigger breakouts?
- How can you tell if your eggs are bad?
- This article gives this suggestion for a Fresh Egg Water Test: “Fill a bowl with water, and carefully place an egg on top. If the egg sinks like a stone, laying down on its side — it’s still very fresh! If it sinks but doesn’t lay flat — and instead it kind of stands up, wobbling — your egg is OK and probably just right for hard-boiling. If the egg floats on the top, that’s an indication that your egg is possibly past its prime.”
3) General Questions
I feel like these need at least a little explanation.
- How often should you water a succulent?
- Why I Googled this: I was gifted a succulent and I was afraid I was going to kill it. (Which I eventually did.)
- The answer: At least once a week.
- Can pets get altitude sickness?
- Why I Googled this: We took our dogs to the mountains and our huskie did not fare well, especially for the first few days. Poor baby.
- The answer: Yes, here are the symptoms and what to do.
- How long can you use toothpaste after the expiration date?
- Why I Googled this: I found a little tube of travel toothpaste under my sink and I was wondering if it was safe to pack or if I’d start my vacation by rotting my teeth.
- The answer: 12 to 18 months.
- Can you dye your hair with easter egg dye?
- Why I Googled this: I mean, it was Easter, we were dying eggs, our creative juices were flowing and we were wondering if we’d discovered a life hack.
- The short answer: No.
- How do you take care of a Tamagotchi?
- Why I Googled this: One night my roommate came home with a shopping bag and asked us to close our eyes and hold out our hands. She then placed a Tamagotchi in my “adult” hands and I squealed in excitement.
- The answer: This is the article I read, also I just heard there is now a Tamagotchi app—if you’re looking to adopt a virtual child.
- What does Gayla Peevey look like?
- Why I Googled this: It was Christmas time and “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” came on the radio and, you know, I was just curious what the singer looked like. She looks like this:
Someone on Twitter recommended typing “Rihanna” + your birthday into Google images to see what outfit she has worn in the past on that particular day and it did not disappoint. Here is the top result for my birthday (September 5th):
And so concludes another deep dive into my search history. I’ve once again closed all of my windows, giving my phone some room to breathe…for a little while at least.
You can read the part 3 of this series here.